Monday, October 24, 2011

My Latest Epiphany

Tonight I was discussing Christmas present ideas with my Mother-in-Law and I told her that MrMonkey is "into" dinosaurs and dragons and MrBrawn is "into" Monster Trucks and other big machinery. That's a pretty normal conversation, right?But as I drove away, I realized that even 6 months ago these boys were not "into" anything! We had several gift giving occasions when all of us adults would scratch our heads wondering what to get them.
I called my dad. "Dad, remember in college, we learned about that guy, Maslow maybe, that said there was a pyramid of needs?" "Yes, Maslows Heirarchy of Needs" "Well, I think I have seen it in action."
According to this theory, built into a pyramid, without our basic needs being met, we cannot focus on anything else.
Obviously at least some of their basic Physiological needs were being met before they came to our house. I am not sure, even, where taking an interest in certain types of toys would fit on this pyramid. However, I can say that I strongly feel like they have gone from being on the bottom rung to knowing that their Physiological and Safety needs are being met and they are working through the Love and Belonging and Esteem tiers. Those of you who know these boys and love them as dearly as we do, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment